Accessing the health information of a deceased relative

If you would like to access health information or records of a deceased relative, we recommend you contact the health service provider with whom the information is being held in the first instance.

We suggest you make your request in writing. You may be asked to provide evidence that the person is deceased (such as the death certificate) and whether you are authorised to act on their behalf.

Please note, access to a third party’s health information is not guaranteed and the health service provider may have grounds to refuse. If your request is refused, the provider should give reasons for their refusal in writing. If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you have six months from becoming aware of the situation to make a complaint or seek a review.

If you would like to find out more, see our